What is court Transcription?
- Accurately transcribing from audio word for word what is being said by all parties, in a given Provincial Court proceeding.
- Trails, Preliminary inquiries, bail hearings, etc.,
- Student will learn the requirements to produce certified transcripts for BC Provincial Courts
- in accordance with standards set by Ministry of Attorney General
- MANDATORY: Confidentiality Agreement & Criminal Record check.
- Full-time, self employed, working in home office
- Ability to network with other transcriptionists & office support always available
BC PROVINCIAL COURTS
- Contractually obligated to produce transcripts with specific timelines
- All work sent or received online is secure - you can work anywhere in province or Canada.
- Initial equipment costs: Foot Pedal, Headset, File sharing program etc.,
Disciplines of a Transcriptionist
- There are approximately 86 full time or circuit Courts within BC
- Traffic, Civil, Small Claims, Family, Criminal
- Visit a local court as part of training
Expectations of a Transcriptionist
- Contractually obligated to produce transcripts with specific deadlines.
- Expected to be self motivated with good time management.
- Paid per page, rates categorized : regular, expedited and daily rates
- Full-time job/career and flexibility of hours
- Upon successful completion, there are options for audio proceedings
- Hearings, tribunals, inquests, etc.,
- Audio: You may have good and bad days
- Issues of good and bad audio levels
- Accents, fast or soft spoken voices, and possible incomplete sentences
- Interrupted speech or others cross talking each other or poor audio transfer from external video of witness or… eloquent, polite speakers!
- No guarantee of a job placement
- Upon successful completion of course, you will be given a guaranteed job interview
- Provide students with a thorough working knowledge of fundamental court transcription, and developed skills to successfully complete certified scripts of court proceedings.
• Basic knowledge of computers
• Grade 10 English - Excellent spelling, grammar and proofreading skills
• Accurate typing skills of 40+ wpm
• Confidentiality agreement signed prior to first class